[Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

[Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

ltribolet
Hi,

I've discovered this framework recently and I'm trying to play with it in tapestry.
My first step to attempt this is to integrate the samples in a tapestry's environment.

I'm really interested with the WebSocket technology so I tried to integrate the WebSocket chat sample. It worked very well.

Now what I want to do is to modify a bit how does it works by extending : org.atmosphere.websocket.WebSocketAtmosphereHandler class which is called by the servlet in the sample.

First, I just extended this class (without adding anything just changing the name) which I call in my servlet. The page runs well but when I want to join to the chat nothing happens. I saw with firebug that I've got a websocket handshake send to the server and the server received the request but that's it. The server doesn't answer back to the client.

So I searched a bit in Atmosphere it seams that WebSocketAtmosphereHandler's name is hardcoded somewhere when it's called which it makes it impossible to extend ? Or am I wrong ?

FYI:
Atmosphere : 0.7.2
Chrome 12
Tapestry 5.2.5
Jetty 8

Luc

PS : I wanted to say that Atmosphere's team does an amazing job with this framework !

Re: [Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

On 11-06-28 4:47 AM, ltribolet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've discovered this framework recently and I'm trying to play with it in
> tapestry.
> My first step to attempt this is to integrate the samples in a tapestry's
> environment.
>
> I'm really interested with the WebSocket technology so I tried to integrate
> the WebSocket chat sample. It worked very well.
>
> Now what I want to do is to modify a bit how does it works by extending :
> /org.atmosphere.websocket.WebSocketAtmosphereHandler/ class which is called
> by the servlet in the sample.
>
> First, I just extended this class (without adding anything just changing the
> name) which I call in my servlet. The page runs well but when I want to join
> to the chat nothing happens. I saw with firebug that I've got a websocket
> handshake send to the server and the server received the request but that's
> it. The server doesn't answer back to the client.
>
> So I searched a bit in Atmosphere it seams that WebSocketAtmosphereHandler's
> name is hardcoded somewhere when it's called which it makes it impossible to
> extend ? Or am I wrong ?

There is two way to define your AtmosphereHandler. The first one is to
define your handler in META-INF/atmosphere.xml:

> <atmosphere-handlers>
>     <atmosphere-handler context-root="/*" class-name="your class">
>     </atmosphere-handler>
> </atmosphere-handlers>

The second way (you need to use 0.8-SNAPSHOT) is to define the following
init-param

>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>org.atmosphere.websocket.WebSocketAtmosphereHandler</param-name>
>             <param-value>class-name</param-value>
>         </init-param>

This map the WebSocketAtmosphereHandler to '/*'.

Let me know how it goes.

A+

-- Jeanfrancois

> FYI:
> Atmosphere : 0.7.2
> Chrome 12
> Tapestry 5.2.5
> Jetty 8
>
> Luc
>
> PS : I wanted to say that Atmosphere's team does an amazing job with this
> framework !

Re: [Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

ltribolet
jfarcand-3 wrote
The first one is to
define your handler in META-INF/atmosphere.xml:

> <atmosphere-handlers>
>     <atmosphere-handler context-root="/*" class-name="your class">
>     </atmosphere-handler>
> </atmosphere-handlers>
The output says that my class is found but when I want to use the chat nothing happens. The server sees my request, upgrades the message, but nothing comes out.

jfarcand-3 wrote
The second way (you need to use 0.8-SNAPSHOT) is to define the following
init-param

>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>org.atmosphere.websocket.WebSocketAtmosphereHandler</param-name>
>             <param-value>class-name</param-value>
>         </init-param>
What are the repositories for the 0.8-SNAPSHOT ?

Thanks for your help !

Re: [Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

Jeanfrancois Arcand-4

On 11-06-28 8:29 AM, ltribolet wrote:

> jfarcand-3 wrote:
>>
>> The first one is to
>> define your handler in META-INF/atmosphere.xml:
>>
>>> <atmosphere-handlers>
>>>      <atmosphere-handler context-root="/*" class-name="your class">
>>>      </atmosphere-handler>
>>> </atmosphere-handlers>
>>

> The output says that my class is found but when I want to use the chat
> nothing happens. The server sees my request, upgrades the message, but
> nothing comes out.

That's strange. Can you cut & paste the log? If you put a breakpoint in
line 75 of WebSocketAtmosphereHandler and see if the handler gets invoked?

> jfarcand-3 wrote:
>>
>> The second way (you need to use 0.8-SNAPSHOT) is to define the following
>> init-param
>>
>>>          <init-param>
>>>
>>> <param-name>org.atmosphere.websocket.WebSocketAtmosphereHandler</param-name>
>>>              <param-value>class-name</param-value>
>>>          </init-param>
>>

> What are the repositories for the 0.8-SNAPSHOT ?

http://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/atmosphere/

Thanks!

-- Jeanfrancois

> Thanks for your help !

Re: [Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

ltribolet
jfarcand-3 wrote
On 11-06-28 8:29 AM, ltribolet wrote:

> jfarcand-3 wrote:
>>
>> The first one is to
>> define your handler in META-INF/atmosphere.xml:
>>
>>> <atmosphere-handlers>
>>>      <atmosphere-handler context-root="/*" class-name="your class">
>>>      </atmosphere-handler>
>>> </atmosphere-handlers>
>>

> The output says that my class is found but when I want to use the chat
> nothing happens. The server sees my request, upgrades the message, but
> nothing comes out.

That's strange. Can you cut & paste the log? If you put a breakpoint in
line 75 of WebSocketAtmosphereHandler and see if the handler gets invoked?
Well it seams to be working for some unknown reason... I didn't do any changes... Maven mystery perhaps.

Anyway thanks for your tips it's working perfectly well. I'll continue to play around with Atmosphere in Tapestry !

Re: [Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

ltribolet
I don't know if I should open another thread, but I have some questions about the AtmosphereHandler.

So let's say I want to improve the Chat sample with some whispering functions. How do I identify each user by the Broadcaster ? I saw I had to manipulate the Scope of the Broadcaster. But I can't find out how to say to Atmosphere to send the message at only one user who hos connexion is Supended and ignore the others ?

Regards,

Luc

Re: [Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

jfarcand
Administrator
Salut,

the user is represented by an AtmosphereResource. An AtmosphereResource is added to a Broadcaster so when Broadcaster#broadcast gets invoked, all AtmosphereResource get a chance to write the message.

So if you want one Broadcaster per AtmosphereResource, you can either create Broadcaster then add the AtmosphereResource manually, or you can use the SCOPE.  Also the Broadcaster#broadcast() API allow broadcast to a subset of AtmosphereResource. That might help as well.

Hope that help.

Re: [Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

ltribolet
This post was updated on .
Hi,

So, basically, for doing private messages I have to override the onRequest() method in my WebsocketHandler class and create each time a user is connecting to the server a new broadcast object, then create a AtmosphereResource added to the broadcaster object with this method when onStateChange() method (overridden too) is invoked  :

<T> Future<T> broadcast(T o, AtmosphereResource<?, ?> resource);
I thought to identify each user to create a table which will contain two parameters :the ID of the user and the ID of the AtmsophereResource associated with. For the ID of the user I'm guessing I can use a session variable ( I couldn't find if you use some session variables), but I was wondering if you use some identifier for the AtmosphereResource ?

I must admit I'm a bit confused with how the framework works and unsure with my method =/ I looked at the AtmosphereServlet class and I saw you use some default configuration for the broadcaster object and that's why I'm hesitating on how create the broadcast object.

And for the SCOPE, I don't see how to tell to the application that it's one specific AtmosphereResourceEvent that is called.

To resume, I don't know if I have to override only the WebSocketAtmosphereHandler class or I have to override much more classes.

I check out the PubSub REST sample with the jQuery Plugin and the code seams clearer to me to understand the way how broadcaster is called and how the resources are managed. I was wondering if somehow the broadcaster and the AtmosphereResource were managed the same way as in the WebSocket Chat sample ?

Regards,

Luc

On 11-06-30 4:57 AM, ltribolet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So, basically, for doing private messages I have to override the onRequest()
> method in my WebsocketHandler class and create each time a user is
> connecting to the server a new broadcast object, then create a
> AtmosphereResource added to the broadcaster object with this method when
> onStateChange() method (overridden too) is invoked  :

Right, to sum up, what you need to do is:

(1) override onRequest
(2) Use the BroadcasterFactory to create a new Broadcaster
(3) Associate that Broadcaster with the AtmosphereResource (setBroadcaster)
(4) Add the AtmosphereResource to the Broadcaster (addAtmosphereResource())

> <T>  Future<T>  broadcast(T o, AtmosphereResource<?, ?>  resource);
>
> I thought to identify each user to create a table which will contain two
> parameters :the ID of the user and the ID of the AtmsophereResource
> associated with. For the ID of the user I'm guessing I can use a session
> variable ( I couldn't find if you use some session variables), but I was
> wondering if you use some identifier for the AtmosphereResource ?

Here I need more information. Since you have the following mapping:

    broadcast_a ---> AtmosphereResourceUserA
    broadcast_b ---> AtmosphereResourceUserB

doing broadcast_a#broadcast(T) will broadcast the message directly and
only to AtmosphereResourceUserA.

Now if you want, you can always add AtmosphereResourceUserB to the
broadcast_a and now both user will be notified when doing

   broadcast_a#broadcast(T)

Take a look at the Twitter sample for a real example:

   http://is.gd/Nz87io

> I must admit I'm a bit confused with how the framework works and unsure with
> my method =/ I looked at the AtmosphereServlet class and I saw you use some
> default configuration for the broadcaster object and that's why I'm
> hesitating on how create the broadcast object.
>
> And for the SCOPE, I don't see how to tell to the application that it's one
> specific AtmosphereResourceEvent that is called.
>
> To resume, I don't know if I have to override only the
> WebSocketAtmosphereHandler class or I have to override much more classes.
>
> I check out the PubSub REST sample with the jQuery Plugin and the code seams
> clearer to me to understand the way how broadcaster is called and how the
> resources are managed. I was wondering if somehow the broadcaster and the
> AtmosphereResource were managed the same way as in the WebSocket Chat sample
> ?

Actually if you deploy the jquery-pubsub sample to Jetty or GlassFish
and use Chrome, Websocket will be used. I've recently blogged about that:

   http://is.gd/TVcfxU

Websocket is completely transparent if you use the atmosphere-jersey
extension.

Hope that help.

Re: [Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

ltribolet
jfarcand-3 wrote
Here I need more information. Since you have the following mapping:

    broadcast_a ---> AtmosphereResourceUserA
    broadcast_b ---> AtmosphereResourceUserB

doing broadcast_a#broadcast(T) will broadcast the message directly and
only to AtmosphereResourceUserA.

Now if you want, you can always add AtmosphereResourceUserB to the
broadcast_a and now both user will be notified when doing

   broadcast_a#broadcast(T)

Take a look at the Twitter sample for a real example:
I'll see what I can do. Thank you for the hints.

jfarcand-3 wrote

I did deploy jquery-pubsub to Jetty and played with it. I saw your article well explained by the way.
In the same way I'm trying to import it in a tapestry's project but apparently I have a jersey problem. I'll keep you up if you're interested.

On 11-06-30 9:02 AM, ltribolet wrote:

> jfarcand-3 wrote:
>>
>> Here I need more information. Since you have the following mapping:
>>
>>      broadcast_a --->  AtmosphereResourceUserA
>>      broadcast_b --->  AtmosphereResourceUserB
>>
>> doing broadcast_a#broadcast(T) will broadcast the message directly and
>> only to AtmosphereResourceUserA.
>>
>> Now if you want, you can always add AtmosphereResourceUserB to the
>> broadcast_a and now both user will be notified when doing
>>
>>     broadcast_a#broadcast(T)
>>
>> Take a look at the Twitter sample for a real example:
>>

> I'll see what I can do. Thank you for the hints.
>

> jfarcand-3 wrote:
>>
>> Actually if you deploy the jquery-pubsub sample to Jetty or GlassFish
>> and use Chrome, Websocket will be used. I've recently blogged about that:
>>
>>     http://is.gd/TVcfxU
>>
>> Websocket is completely transparent if you use the atmosphere-jersey
>> extension.
>>
>> Hope that help.
>>
>> -- Jeanfrancois
>>

> I did deploy jquery-pubsub to Jetty and played with it. I saw your article
> well explained by the way.
> In the same way I'm trying to import it in a tapestry's project but
> apparently I have a jersey problem. I'll keep you up if you're interested.

Yes if I can be of any help. It may be better for you to use the Meteor
API (althrough I've never used Tapestry). The Meteor API allow you to do
everything from Servlet point of you (e.g Servlet#service gets called).

Thanks

Re: [Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

ltribolet
So here some feedbacks :

I drop off with the AtmosphereHandler method because I found it too complicated too work with Tapestry and customizing my own class for doing the private chat.

So I continued with the pubsub sample with jquery. The method seams simplier to me I manage to use Atmosphere and Tapestry well.

But I have some difficulties : I've changed my computer and on a new install Websocket are failling. I don't know why. Here the stack :

2011-07-05 16:48:03.674:WARN::Error for /Atmosphere/gh
java.lang.IllegalAccessError: org.atmosphere.cpr.AtmosphereServlet.doWebSocketConnect(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljava/lang/String;)Lorg/eclipse/jetty/websocket/WebSocket;
        at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.WebSocketFactory.acceptWebSocket(WebSocketFactory.java:212)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.WebSocketServlet.service(WebSocketServlet.java:63)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:847)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:550)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1359)
        at org.apache.tapestry5.TapestryFilter.doFilter(TapestryFilter.java:151)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1330)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:484)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:517)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:229)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:970)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:414)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:187)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:904)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:247)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:149)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:110)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:590)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:1054)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:601)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:214)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:411)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:535)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:40)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:529)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
This happens everytime I call a Websocket connexion from the client. I've modified a bit the links since I'm working with a tapestry's application side by side. So the servlet is mapped on :

<servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>AtmosphereServlet</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/Atmosphere/*</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>
and I call this link in the client side :

ws://localhost:9090/Atmosphere/topic
Where topic is the parameter for the broadcaster.

FYI : the versions of software on my new machine :
Firefox 5 (with websocket enabled)
Chromium 14
Maven 2.2.1
Atmosphere 0.7.2
Tapestry 5.2.5

Thanks

Re: [Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

ltribolet
This post was updated on .
I found what was blocking in the POM I choosed Jetty 8.0.0.M3 and it's not working with it, so I downgraded to 8.0.0.M1 and I don't have the error anymore.

Regards,

Luc

Re: [Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

you need to use Atmosphere 0.8-SNAPSHOT as your version of Jetty has
changed under the hood and Atmosphere 0.7.2 doesn't support Jetty
8.0.0-M3 or 7.3.x

Thanks

-- Jeanfrancois

On 11-07-05 11:54 AM, ltribolet wrote:

> [...]
>>

> This happens everytime I call a Websocket connexion from the client. I've
> modified a bit the links since I'm working with a tapestry's application
> side by side. So the servlet is mapped on :
>

>> <servlet-mapping>
>>          <servlet-name>AtmosphereServlet</servlet-name>
>>          <url-pattern>/Atmosphere/*</url-pattern>
>> </servlet-mapping>
>>

> and I call this link in the client side :
>

>> ws://localhost:9090/Atmosphere/topic
>>

> Where topic is the parameter for the broadcaster.
>

> FYI : the versions of software on my new machine :
> Firefox 5 (with websocket enabled)
> Chromium 14
> Maven 2.2.1
> Atmosphere 0.7.2
> Tapestry 5.2.5
>
> Thanks

Re: [Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

Right, like I said use Atmosphere 0.8-SNAPSHOT for the best Websocket
support. Since the Websocket spec isn't stable, I need to catchup when
version are changing. Hence 0.8-SNAPSHOT is always the best one to use
and it is backward compatible with any Jetty version.

Thanks

-- jeanfrancois

On 11-07-06 9:29 AM, ltribolet wrote:
> I found what was blocking in the POM I choosed Jetty 8.0.0.M3 and it's not
> working with it, so I downgraded to 8.0.0.M1 and I don't have the error
> anymore.

Re: [Websocket chat] Extend WebSocketAtmosphereHandler

ltribolet
Hi,

Ok I will try with the 0.8-SNAPSHOT.

Is there any release notes about Atmosphere ? I'd like to know what specifications the 0.8 will bring ? (bug fixes, minor changes, major changes) Since I'm trying to use it in other projects I'd like to know if I will be able to update Atmosphere without too many changes.

Thanks,

Luc