[atmosphere-users] Long polling connections through HTTP reverse proxy

[atmosphere-users] Long polling connections through HTTP reverse proxy

Alan Guégan
Bonjour à tous,

Thanks for your previous answer Jean-François.

I am (still) creating a proof of concept to enable long http connections between a tomcat server and java clients, through an http proxy connection.

I have used the twitter example (not REST) to build the server side, and async http client for the client side.

My new concern is that I want a fast reaction of my clients whenever new data is sent by the server. Generally it is the case, but 20% of times at least, the data seems buffered by the server (and/or the http reverse proxy), and the only strategy to get rid of that buffering is to send an important quantity of data to the clients (messages filled by spaces and \n) in order to have minimum message size to 4096 or 8192 bytes.

[+ to send "PING" messages every 15 seconds !!!]

I was wondering if I am missing something,

Some more info on my server configuration :

tomcat 6, jre 1.6.x, linux.
I use netty 3.2.5, along with atmosphere-*-0.7.2.jar

Merci beaucoup de votre support et aussi pour le projet Atmosphere !!!
Alan

[atmosphere-users] Re: Long polling connections through HTTP reverse proxy

switching mailing list to: [hidden email]

Can you snif what the server is sending? I suspect Tomcat is buffering
before sending the response (I might be wrong). Which Connector are you
using (Blocking, NIO or APR)? For sniffing, I recommend you install
ngrep (simpler than wireshark). Post that info here (or privately if it
contains private info). We need to find where the data gets bufferred I
would think.

Thanks!

-- Jeanfrancois